Friday, May 11, 2007

Smoking, drinking, sex and R ratings!

I was watching Good Morning America this morning and heard some interesting information about how they are going to make changes to the rating of movies. Right now, R ratings are based on sex, drugs and violence (and adult content). They are now going to include smoking to that list. I am pleased to see this. I think we have all gotten so accustomed to seeing people smoking in movies that we probably don't even think much about it. This does not mean that mentality is good.

As a mother of 2 boys, I try to monitor what they watch. It seems natural to say no to a movie that will have sex or drugs in it. But honestly, I don't know that smoking is something I thought of very much. The boys are hilarious when we are out in public. They will, in their not-so-quiet voices, point and say "that person has a smoker". They call cigarettes "smokers".

I am so happy to see this tightening down on the standards. I think there needs to be more. And I think television should definitely follow suit. I am tired of not being able to turn on the TV at 7pm with my kids in the room because even the sitcoms that air at that time are unacceptable for my kids. I remember when it was television programming for the family until 9pm. There are very few shows on now, on the major channels, that I feel my boys can watch. That is one of the reasons why we have cable. It is a huge frustration with me, but I think society has just accepted the changes and we just move on and deal with it.

Kudos to the people who changed the movie rating system to include smoking!!

No comments: